I was a commuter student, so I never lived at school, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know how dorms work. During college, I spent enough time in my friend’s dorm rooms to become more than a little familiar at how the tiny, cramped space can easily become messy, disorganized, and stressful. For the last two years, I’ve helped my little sister move into her dorm room, so I know firsthand how hard it is to set it up so that everything is where you need it without taking up too much room.
I’ve already shown you guys some amazing DIY dorm room decoration ideas, but what about all of the other little things you need to know before you move in? Whether you’re an incoming freshman or an experienced junior, I’m sure all of you could use some more handy tips to make things easier. And most of these can also be used in apartments, if you’re moving off campus! Here are 25 dorm room tips and tricks every college student needs to know.
1. When packing your stuff, make sure you label properly. My sister didn’t do this, and unpacking was incredibly confusing.
2. Label your various chargers with Washi tape. Trust me – these things can get mixed up easily. Washi tape is fun too, so you can make them pretty!
3. Use a shower caddy as storage for whatever you want. It can hold your notebooks you need everyday, other school supplies, whatever. You can also hang your keys on it. These are inexpensive and will hold a lot.
4. Use plastic shoe storage to hold snacks instead. It keeps everything organized and easy to grab. And this way, you’ll know right away when you’re running out of something.
5. Make a chore chart. It doesn’t have to be this elaborate, but you need one. Things will get messy, and if chores aren’t given to certain people, roomies will end up feeling bitter and angry.